No code builders are becoming an increasingly popular way of building a website or app, especially for those of you that don’t know how to code. Webflow helps you design and build custom websites using a visual builder without the need to code.
This Webflow review will help you decide if it’s any good and if you should use it.
In this review…
- What is Webflow?
- Is Webflow any good?
- Webflow pricing
- Webflow CMS
- Is Webflow better than WordPress?
- Webflow hosting
- Is Webflow like Wix?
What is Webflow?
Webflow is a website building tool with an awesome design tool. It allows you to build a website without using any code. Webflow also has a CMS, enabling you to create and manage content.
If you’re looking to build a new website for your business, this Webflow review will help you decide if it’s right for you. Whilst there’s a lot of great things about Webflow, it can be complex to use and isn’t right for everyone.
For those of you that haven’t seen the Webflow visual builder yet, this is what it looks like…
Is Webflow any good?
To summarise our Webflow review; it’s an incredible no code website builder for those with advanced website design skills. Beginners will be better-off with a template based website designer, unless you’re happy to pay a designer to build your site using Webflow.
Webflow does have a ‘University’ where is provides extensive tutorials and how-to guides, if you have the time to learn how to use the tool.
Here’s the main pros and cons of Webflow.
- Excellent visual design tools
- All inclusive website management plans including hosting and security
- Reasonably priced
- You can build almost anything
- Free to start, pay when you launch
- Steep learning curve if it’s your first time using it
- Not suitable for beginners or those without website design experience
- Monthly paid plans are more expensive
- Webfont selection limited to Google Fonts and Typekit
With so many different website building tools available, and now the emergence of no code builders, you may be wondering what Webflow can do that others can’t? Here’s the main features of what Webflow has to offer:
- Build any kind of website using drag-and-drop design tools
- Create eCommerce websites and web apps
- Powered by AWS (Amazon web services)
- 99.9% uptime
- Built in SEO tools
- Content delivery network (CDN) included
- SSL certificates and backups included
How expensive is Webflow? It’s free until you’re ready to launch your new website. There are no free trial periods or expensive plans as you build your site. Once live, hosting starts at a reasonable $12 USD per month (paid annually).
Once your site is ready to launch, prices start at . This is includes the cost of web hosting to keep your website online, along with a full website management platform.
- Basic plan $12 USD per month (paid annually) – best for basic sites without the need for a CMS
- CMS plan $16 USD per month (paid annually) – best for blogs or content sites
- Business plan $36 USD per month (paid annually) – best for marketing or high traffic sites
Webflow has a content management system which lets you create static websites using the design tool. CMS is prime WordPress territory and to be honest basic users may find WordPress slightly easier to use.
The key difference with Webflow is that you can create collections, combine the CMS with the eCommerce building tools, and make everything look amazing without needing to use any code.
Some designers have reported some difficulties using the CMS (mainly CSS issues), but on the whole the feedback is positive.
Is Webflow better than WordPress?
Webflow claims to be a ‘modern WordPress alternative’. In reality what does that mean for you? Well, once you’re familiar with the Webflow builder, you should be able to:
- Make changes to your site faster than on WordPress.
- Enjoy a more visual experience to developing your website, than WordPress.
- You won’t need to manually edit code (PHP).
- Use fewer website plugins, which may slow down your website’s speed.
Webflow includes hosting and full website management in their plans – which is pretty good! To compare this with other website builders such as WP Engine, GoDaddy, Flywheel and Squarespace, Webflow hosting includes:
- SSL certificate
- Automatic website backups
- Password protection
- Custom design platform
- Website security and maintenance
It’s safe to say that Webflow offers a much better deal, when it comes to managing your website, for just $12 USD a month.
Whilst Webflow offers a better selection of features, how do the hosting prices compare?
Webflow $16 (individual plan)
WP Engine $35
Is Webflow like Wix?
Webflow is a very different tool to other website builders like Wix. Tools such as Wix, Squarespace and Shopify aren’t meant for you to have free reign with design and development. These tools provide templates for you to edit, and are generally much easier to use, especially for beginners.
With Webflow, you don’t start with a template. It’s also is a lot more difficult to use, and you will need some web design knowledge, or at the very least, a few hours to spend learning tutorials. If you’re new to creating a website, and you don’t need it to do any advanced features, you may find it easier to use one of these website building tools.
Webflow review: Summary
If you’re familiar with website design principles and using visual builders, Webflow is an excellent choice. We don’t recommend Webflow for beginners or those without web design experience, as it can be complicated and time-consuming to use if you have to follow tutorials first.
Whilst creating this Webflow review, we found the capability of Webflow to be huge – you literally can build anything. It’s also incredibly well priced compared to it’s competitors.
To summarise in a sentence, for advanced users we recommend Webflow as a no code website builder, for beginners we recommend an easier to use template based tool.
If this Webflow review helped you, please recommend DigitalSupermarket to other business owners!