If you already use WordPress, you already know that it’s one of the best content management systems out there for creating powerful and robust websites.
With thousands of different WordPress plugins available, how do you decide which is best for your website?
Here’s the 29 best WordPress plugins for SEO to help you improve your websites’ search engine performance.
- Rank Math
- Yoast SEO
- All in One SEO
- WP Meta SEO
- Google XML Sitemaps
- Broken Link Checker
- W3 Total Cache
- All In One WP Security & Firewall
- WPtouch Mobile Plugin
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin (YARPP)
- SEO Optimized Images
- The SEO Framework
- Easy Table of Contents
- ShortPixel Image Optimizer
- A3 Lazy Load
- HREFLang Tags Lite
- WP Super Cache
- Really Simple SSL
- Akismet Spam Protection
- Rel Nofollow
- All in One Schema Rich Snippets
- SEO by Squirrly
- HubSpot Free WordPress Plugin
- SEMRush Writing Assistant
- Does WordPress need SEO plugins?
- Can WordPress have two SEO plugins?
- How do I make my WordPress site SEO friendly?
- Is Yoast good for SEO?
Interested in getting your site higher in Google’s rankings? Check out our list of the best SEO tools to get more traffic to your site today.
This list will explain the pros, cons and features of some of the best WordPress plugins out there.
- Image optimisation, from alt-text to title tags
- Automatically suggests effective keywords as you work
- Modular features which you can disable or enable depending on what you need
- Optimises an unlimited number of keywords per post
Rank Math is one of the best WordPress plugins for SEO. It’s an all-in-one SEO tool that focuses on automation.
Calling itself the ‘swiss army knife’ of WordPress SEO, it certainly lives up to that name: almost every topic you could think of is accounted for, from keyword management to image-tag editing.
The free version has noticeably less features than the two paid plans compared to other WordPress plugins for SEO. For example, you can’t integrate with Google Trends, edit options in bulk or even import SEO data from a CSV file without shelling out nearly £60 a year for their ‘pro’ version.
- You can customise page titles, headings, and meta-descriptions
- Custom meta-descriptions let you influence what shows up in Google’s search snippets
- Schemas let you determine how webcrawlers read your site
Yoast is one of the biggest and most popular SEO plugins for WordPress, full stop. It offers every conceivable feature you could think of for improving your sites discoverability.
There’s also a paid version, but the free edition has all of the features you’ll need for daily use. The company that makes Yoast also offers numerous courses and tutorials on how to achieve SEO success.
If you need an alternative to Rank Math, then Yoast is it. Yoast is widely viewed as being one of the best WordPress plugins for SEO.
- Lets you create, manage and preview rich snippets for search engine results
- Automatic SEO optimisations point out what needs to change
- Customisable XML sitemaps notify search engines whenever you update your site
This is the biggest and baddest WordPress plugin for SEO out there, and with over two million active installations, you can tell it’s at the top of the food chain for a reason.
As the name suggests, the All in One SEO pack is meant to be so all-inclusive that it completely replaces hiring an SEO expert for your company. Whether it’s creating sitemaps, optimising images or managing canonical URLs, All in One is one of the best WordPress plugins for SEO.
- Creates custom HTML and XML sitemaps
- Manages 301/404 redirections
- On-page SEO optimisations
- Optimised breadcrumb creations
- Previews for Google search results, Facebook and Twitter
SEOPress is another in the line of ‘all-in-one’ WordPress plugins for SEO that aims to contain every feature you could ever want.
What sets it apart from most is that it’s white label – in other words, it doesn’t plaster its name over the public-facing portions of your site. This is great for professional sites, or if you just find the branding of other plugins distracting.
- Bulk image rename
- Massively reduces number of 404 hits
- Integrates seamlessly with Google Analytics
- XML and HTML sitemaps let you quickly see the scope of your site
WP Meta SEO is a plugin developed by JoomUnited. It’s intended for people who just want to install one plugin that makes life easier, rather than mixing and matching lots of smaller ones.
It has a particular focus on bulk actions, like letting you rename your site’s images en masse. This is particularly useful if you’re bringing an old, neglected blog back up to speed: rather than spending an afternoon manually updating all the tags and URLs, WP Meta can do it for you in minutes.
WP Meta is one of the best WordPress plugins for SEO time-saving!
- Creates an XML sitemap of your site
- Supports custom URLs
- Notifies search engines for you when you publish new content
For years this has been one of the best WordPress plugins for sitemaps.
If you’re not aware, sitemaps describe the layout of your site in a computer-readable format. They’re useful because they let search engines index your site more effectively.
This tool in particular is one of the highest-ever rated WordPress plugins for SEO, so you can be sure that it’ll have a strong impact on your rankings. The only issue is that it’s not in active development, so test it works on your set-up before committing to it.
- Notifies you by dashboard or email when links break
- You can edit links from the plugin’s page, without needing to edit each page manually
- Has options for making broken links display differently in posts, so users aren’t surprised
There’s nothing more frustrating online than when you click on an interesting link, only to find out that it’s broken. Broken Link Checker stops that from happening to your visitors from by monitoring both your internal and external links to make sure they stay active and notify you when they don’t.
- Integrates your full Google Analytics reports right into WordPress
- Generates real-time stats for who’s on your page, right then and there
- Helps your site GDPR-compliant for EU visitors
Analytics is easily one of the best WordPress plugin for SEO purposes. MonsterInsights, focused on integrating with Google Analytics, is one of the best WordPress plugins for SEO and activity monitoring.
It’s used by millions of companies, including titans of industry like Microsoft, Subway and FedEx. Because of that, unfortunately, it’s aimed at high-paying customers, and many useful features aren’t present in the free version of the plugin.
- Web-host agnostic
- Automatically compresses posts and embedded assets
- Offers content delivery network (CDN) integration for further speed boosts
Caching refers to saving copies of pages that you know lots of people are going to visit. This means you don’t have to generate unique copies for every visitor, and in doing so increases your SEO favorability by reducing load times.
W3 Total Cache stands out from other caching solutions with its focus on technical details – it cares more about letting you tinker with all of the detailed settings than it does presenting a clean and simple user experience.
W3 Total Cache is one of the best WordPress plugins for improving website performance.
All In One WP Security & Firewall
- Splits security and firewall rules into ‘basic’, ‘intermediate’ and ‘advanced’ tiers, which lets you apply different levels of security across your site
- Numerous tools for keeping your passwords safe and hard to crack
- Integrates with Google reCaptcha to dissuade brute-force bot attacks
- Notifies you if any of your site’s files have changed, potentially due to hacking
If you only focus on getting the best WordPress plugins for SEO, you’re setting yourself up for failure. You should take security seriously as well, and that’s what All In One WP Security & Firewall does.
It’s aimed at novices and presents a nearly automated process for enhancing WordPress’s security measures, from checking your site for known vulnerabilities to implementing best practices and techniques.
WPtouch Mobile Plugin
- Creates mobile-friendly versions of all your pages
- Meets Google’s official guidelines for mobile site accessibility
- Doesn’t affect your desktop themes at all
If your website doesn’t properly support mobile users, you’re never going to hit the first page of Google.
WPtouch automatically generates a mobile-friendly theme that passes Google’s official mobile tests, and all without modifying any of your original code. In other words, it’s win-win all around.
If you need to create a mobile-friendly version of your website, WPtouch is one of the best WordPress plugins.
Yet Another Related Posts Plugin (YARPP)
- Automatically displays posts related to the current entry
- YARPP’s templating system lets you decide how entries should be displayed
- Related posts can even be shown in RSS feeds for power-users
The best WordPress plugins for SEO often focus on linking your content together, and YARPP is a great example of that.
It automatically displays posts and other content relevant to whatever the user is currently looking at, which is a great way to send them down a rabbit-hole through the rest of your pages. No more manually inserting links into every post!
SEO Optimized Images
- Automatically generates SEO-friendly tags from your posts’ metadata
- Dynamically replaces attributes, meaning it doesn’t affect your database
SEO Optimized Images is one of the best WordPress plugins for image optimisation.
Images are one of the biggest parts of SEO that people ignore – not filling them with the right title and alt attributes can seriously hurt your rankings.
Thankfully, SEO Optimized Images lets you dynamically insert SEO-friendly tags to all your images based on the image’s name or the title and category of the post it’s in.
It’s a quick and easy way to make your images work for you, instead of the other way around.